Entries by Kaleen Staff

Are there Paralysis Ticks in Canberra?

The great answer is NO. (We do have harmless bush ticks though) Kaleen Veterinary Hospital does, however, see many cases of tick paralysis each year in pets that travel to the coast on holidays. The tick Ixodes holocyclus occurs along the East Coast of Australia. The worse time is from August through February, you can […]

Cats – the silent baby assassin?

A vet mate of mine, Dr Dave Nichol, wrote this great article recently that I thought I would share it with you. “I’ve heard a few things recently about pets and children that have been wide of the mark. Cats in particular seem to come in for a lot of bad press. Perhaps it was […]

Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Catnip!

Catnip is a perennial herb and member of the Mint family that is well known for it’s ability to get cat’s “high”. The main active ingredient which causes this is an essential oil called nepetalactone, which can be found in the leaves & stem of the plant. When a cat encounters catnip, it usually sniffs […]

Lily Poisoning In Cats

We have seen a few cases lately of kidney failure in cats that has been caused by eating Lilys, so in this Blog, I thought I would pass on a few matters of importance. If you suspect your cat has eaten any, prompt veterinary attention is of utmost importance. Any part of the plant is […]

Smart Dogs

“How smart are dogs?” We all know that dogs are smart. Just look at all the amazing things they can do! They learn to follow commands, perform tasks, and work at jobs.  They even learn how to trick their owners! Research tells us that the average dog can understand about 150 words. Their intelligence level […]

Utopia March 2012

Well, March has come and gone and our second visit to Utopia 350km north-east of Alice Springs to help with a volunteer dog control programme is over. This time Dr Alison from Kippax Vet Hospital and myself (Dr Michael Archinal) were joined by Dr Fiona from Kippax and Nurses Leah and Geraldine, Dr Kate from […]


I know it’s early, but I was overwhelmed by all the Easter eggs and Hot Cross buns in the supermarkets the other day, so I thought I should warn all pet owners early of the potential for issues with poisonings over the Easter period. It reminded me of a Beagle who ate all the chocolate […]