Lily Poisoning In Cats

We have seen a few cases lately of kidney failure in cats that has been caused by eating Lilys, so in this Blog, I thought I would pass on a few matters of importance. If you suspect your cat has eaten any, prompt veterinary attention is of utmost importance.

Any part of the plant is poisonous & only a tiny amount (less than one leaf) needs to be eaten to cause poisoning.

Vomiting is a common sign and usually subsides a few hours after exposure but this doesn’t mean your cat is making a recovery. As the toxin starts to affect the kidneys, excessive thirst & lethargy often follows.

If Lily poisoning is suspected, we run several tests to determine the condition of the kidneys, which may include;

  • Biochemical profile will be taken for testing. Elevated blood urea nitrogen (BUN) and creatinine are both indicative of renal failure.
  • Urinalysis will be able to provide additional information on the extent of kidney damage & urine-concentrating ability.

Prompt medical treatment is absolutely vital, the sooner your cat sees a vet, the better. Even with veterinary attention there is no guarantee that your cat will survive, but the chances greatly decrease if treatment isn’t commenced within 6 hours of exposure.

Best thing is to avoid and possible problem and don’t have the Lily plant or flowers in a house with cats.

This post was originally written in 2012