Easter

I know it’s early, but I was overwhelmed by all the Easter eggs and Hot Cross buns in the supermarkets the other day, so I thought I should warn all pet owners early of the potential for issues with poisonings over the Easter period.

It reminded me of a Beagle who ate all the chocolate in the house 2 weeks before the event!

Chocolate can be a very nasty poison. Dark chocolate is the worst. Signs of poisoning include diarrhoea, heart issues and nervous signs. The raisins in Hot Cross buns can cause kidney damage that can be fatal. The take home message here is that human food is for humans, and make sure all Easter treats are out of pets way. If you have any concerns, please call us over the Easter break as we have vets working most days.

Finally, with all the holiday festivities, take time to remember the reason for the season.

This post was originally written in 2012